Winston Dalton's Register: Important Toler/Towler Research
admin Wed, 01/14/2009 - 13:12
There are a few documents that are KEY to research in some families, and the Toler/Towler family has a few "Must See" documents. One of those documents is Winston Dalton's Register. Mr. Dalton's register is an old register of births, deaths and marriages which seem to have occurred, for the most part at least, in the northern portion of Pittsylvania and the southern part of Bedford counties, Virginia. The register appears to have been kept by Winston Dalton, who was a school teacher. The records of Winston Dalton's Register were copied and re-organized (arranged in alphabetical order) by A. M. Prichard, of Staunton, Virginia in 1933.
As far as I can tell the original list was published in 1934 as an article in The William and Mary Quarterly. The full details are as follows: The William and Mary Quarterly, Second Series, Vol. 14, No. 1 (Jan., 1934), pp. 36-45. I have copied some of the entries and listed them below. There are several families that are mentioned in the Register, but of note are the Toler entries. There are about 30 entries, and a lot of them center on Joseph "Big Daddy" Toler and His children. Here are the Toler entries in the Register.
- Toler, Joseph, b. 15 Sept. 1743; d. 10 Nov. 1819.
- Toler, Frances, wife of Joseph, d. 30 June 1833.
- Toler, Benjamin, son of Joseph, died 3 Apr. 1813.
- Toler, Jenny, dau. of Joseph, married Thomas Thompson 15 Apr. 1815.
- Toler, Elizabeth, dau. of Joseph, (married John Shockley), born 19 July 1778.
- Toler, John, & Sally Dalton, married -- Jan. 1807.
- Toler, Judith, mother of John, died 17 Nov. 1807.
- Toler, Elizabeth, dau. of John & Sally, born 12 Dec. 1808.
- Toler, Christopher, son of John & Sally, born 29 July 1810.
- Toler, Joshua, son of John & Sally, born 1 Apr. 1812.
- Toler, Anna, dau. of John & Sally, born 29 Oct. 1815.
- Toler, Absalom, son of John & Sally, born 3 Jan. 1817.
- Toler, Jonathan, son of John & Sally, born 19 Aug. 1821.
- Toler, Sally, dau. of John & Sally, born 29 Apr. 1824.
- Toler, Elizabeth, dau. of Elijah & Polly, born 19 Sept. 1808.
- Toler, Frances, dau. of Elijah & Polly, born 7 June 1811.
- Toler, Benjamin, son of Elijah & Polly, born 16 Mar. 1814.
- Toler, Catherine, dau. of Elijah & Polly, born 19 Sept. 1825.
- Toler, Nancy, dau. of Joshua, born 20 Apr. 1785; married Sanford Dove, 29 Jan. 1807.
- Toler, James, & Sally Hurt, married 25 Dec. 1817.
- Toler, Henry, son of Polly, born 6 Dec. 1801.
- Toler, Robert, son of Sally, born 22 June 1791.
- Toler, Berry, died __ July 1824.
- Toler, Absalom, & Elizabeth Linticum, married 18 Jan. 1825.
- Toler, Mary Ann, dau. of Absalom & Elizabeth, born 6 May 1828.
- Toler, Peyton, & Elizabeth Toler, married 6 Aug. 1825.
- Toler, Hannah, died 5- Mar. 1827.
- Toler, William, started for the western country 2 Aug. 1829.
- Toler, Elijah, son of William, & Lucy Hutson, married 9 Nov. 1832.
- Toler, William, & Fanny Barker, married 9 Jan. 1833.
Winston Dalton's Register is a key document that contains many dates and names that are important to someone working on the Toler family. Some other familes that are mentioned include Arthur and Dixon. If you have not had a chance to see Winston Dalton's register, it is well worth the effort to track down.